A Brief History of Hyndburn
Hyndburn is a local government district in Lancashire whose borough council is based in Accrington. It was formed in 1974 by the amalgamation of the Borough of Accrington, the Urban Districts of Church, Clayton-le-Moors, Great Harwood, Oswaldtwistle and Rishton, together with part of the Burnley Rural District.
Thus comprising of:-
Accrington, Altham, Baxenden, Parts of Belthorn, Church, Clayton-le-Moors, Great Harwood, Huncoat, Parts of Knuzden, Oswaldtwistle, Rishton, and Parts of Whitebirk. The Parliamentary Constituency extends further south to incorporate Rising Bridge.
So although the museum is based in Accrington it covers all of the above areas representing Hyndburn.
The district is named after the River Hyndburn which flows through the centre of Accrington, mostly undercover.
Some Examples of our World Renowned Claim to Fame
Memorial on Church St.
Come and see our genuine artefacts and documents from two World Wars on our various displays. Learn about service personnel who fought and perished in both World Wars, and about the now famous 'Accrington Pals'. We have lots of reference books and folders for you to read at your leisure within our museum. Who knows you might even discover a long lost relative.
Clay found locally produced strong, weather and acid resistant bricks which were sought after the world over. Nori bricks were used in the buildings at the base of Blackpool Tower, for several power stations and the linings of factory chimneys. In 1931 a huge number were exported to America for the foundations of the Empire State, because they were the densest and strongest bricks in the world.
The Globe Centre
former site of
Howard & Bullough
Employing almost 6000 people in its heyday the Globe Works dominated the town of Accrington, covering approximately 52 acres. Manufacturing initially concentrated on weaving looms, but eventually expanded to cover the complete range of machinery used in the cotton mills, with seventy-five percent of the company's production being exported worldwide.
Learn the history of one of the founder members of the Football League way back in the 19th. century. From being bankrupt in 1962 and reforming in 1968 to become 'the club that wouldn't die'. Come and see our display and read for yourself the history of this remarkable football team and where they are today.
Although carpet sweepers were not invented by the Accrington based firm of Entwisle and Kenyon their "Ewbank" trade name became synonimous with this labour saving device. The Ewbank works was located on Hyndburn Rd. on the site where the Asda supermarket now stands. Formed in 1865 by James Entwistle and James Kenyon, the firm was taken over in the 1960s by the Prestige Group which ran the company until closure in 1983.
In 1878 Edward John Riley, known to friends and family as "E J" left the bank where he was employed to open a shop selling sporting goods which were his passion. He branched out into manufacturing sports goods, in particular cricket bats, and toys. Then in the 1890s he expanded into the production of billiard tables and moved to premises in Accrington. In 1896, the Company E.J. Riley Ltd. was formed with Mr. J. T. Kenyon as Managing Director.